Oxygen is the most important thing for humans. When this is lacking, it becomes difficult to imagine life. After all, why is there a lack of oxygen and what is the meaning of lack of oxygen, a person aware of his health should know about all these things. You are also among the conscious people who want to understand what is the lack of oxygen and how to overcome this deficiency, then read this article of News Darshan. Here every small and big information related to low oxygen level is given on the basis of studies done by scientists.
Let’s start with the article.
First of all, know what is called lack of oxygen.
Table of Contents
- What is hypoxemia / hypoxia (low oxygen level)? : Hypoxia and Hypoxemia
- Normal blood oxygen levels – Normal blood oxygen levels: what is safe and what is low?
- Diagnosis of hypoxemia – Diagnosis of hypoxemia
- Symptoms of low blood oxygen levels
- Causes of low blood oxygen levels
- How to maintain oxygen level in the body: Tips to Increase Your Blood Oxygen Level
- When to contact a doctor – When to see a doctor
- Low oxygen level treatment – Medical Treatments
- Foods that increase oxygen in the blood – Foods that help increase oxygen in the blood
- Complications caused by low oxygen – Low Blood Oxygen Complications
- frequently asked Questions
What is hypoxemia / hypoxia (low oxygen level)? : Hypoxia and Hypoxemia
A problem related to the oxygen level of the body is called hypoxemia or hypoxia, but hypoxia and hypoxemia are not synonyms. Hypoxemia means a decrease in the partial pressure of oxygen in the blood. In simple words, this is called lack of oxygen in the blood. Now talking about hypoxia, this is the situation in which the oxygen level of the tissue decreases. Yes, it is also true that hypoxemia, ie lack of oxygen in the blood, increases the risk of hypoxia (lack of oxygen in the tissue). Obviously when there is less oxygen in the blood, then there will be a risk of lower oxygen levels in the tissue as well. Research also suggests that in some cases both these problems occur simultaneously, but not necessarily those who have hypoxemia, they also become a victim of hypoxia .
Read further Now let’s take a look at the normal levels of blood oxygen.
Normal blood oxygen levels – Normal blood oxygen levels: what is safe and what is low?
The measurement of blood oxygen is called oxygen saturation level. In medical language, words like PaO2 and SpO2 are used. Below we are talking about the normal levels of oxygen related to these two.
- Normal Oxygen Level: The oxygen level (SpO2) in a pulse oximeter device should be 95 to 100 percent. This is called normal oxygen level. Normal ABG (arterial blood gas) oxygen (PaO2) levels in healthy lungs are 75 to 100 mmHg (millimeter mercury). Yes, normal pulse oximeter levels (SpO2) of lung disease especially those with COPD are 95 to 100 There is no percentage. Doctors recommend maintaining oxygen levels between 88 and 92 percent for serious patients struggling with this problem.
- Abnormal Oxygen Level: When the oxygen level falls below normal, it is called hypoxemia. While there is no standard for how much oxygen saturation occurs, hypoxemia occurs, but oxygen saturation (SpO2) below 95 percent is considered abnormal. Whereas, some research suggests that when oxygen If the level (SpO2) falls below 90 percent, then the condition is hypoxemia. Also, if ABG oxygen (PaO2) is below 75 mmHg, it is considered an abnormal level.
Know how to diagnose hypoxemia after understanding how much oxygen level should be in the body.
Diagnosis of hypoxemia – Diagnosis of hypoxemia
Whether blood oxygen levels are low can be detected with the help of some investigations. Further understand what are the ways of diagnosing hypoxemia.
- Arterial blood gas – It is considered an effective tool for detecting hypoxemia. This provides many additional information in addition to the diagnosis of hypoxemia. For example, it detects oxygen levels as well as carbon dioxide (PCO2), which can also explain the cause of low oxygen. During this test, the acid and base in the blood are also examined, which The pH balance of blood is called. If there is more or less acid in the blood, it is known that there is a problem in the lungs and kidneys. During this procedure, blood is extracted by inserting a needle into the artery. This results in a feeling of severe pain, as blood is drawn from a more painful artery than a blood from a vein.
- Pulse oximetry – Blood oxygen levels are also tested in this test. It does not use any kind of needle. A small clip with a sensor called pulse oximetry is applied to the fingers. This device measures oxygen levels, called Peripheral Oxygen Saturation or SpO2.
- Other investigations – After detection of oxygen deficiency, it may be advisable to do other tests to find out the reason behind it. These investigations include X-rays and CT scans, which can reveal other conditions such as pneumonia, water congestion in the lungs, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or lung inflammation. In addition, doctors may also recommend complete blood count, serum chemistry, thoracic ultrasonography, neurological tests, echocardiography, skull radiography, computed tomography .
Read further what symptoms are seen when the level of oxygen in the body is low.
Scroll After understanding how much oxygen level should be in the body, know how to diagnose hypoxemia. Whether blood oxygen levels are low can be detected with the help of some investigations. Further understand what are the ways of diagnosing hypoxemia.
Keep reading, read the article further to see what symptoms are seen when the level of oxygen in the body is low.
Symptoms of low blood oxygen levels
Some symptoms are seen when the level of oxygen in the body decreases, with the help of which the first necessary steps can be taken from time to time. These symptoms are as follows.
- Skin, lips and nails are blue in color
- Brisk breathing
- Cause confusion
- Headache problem
- Feeling sleepy or wanting to sleep all the time
- To have seizures
- Heart rate exceeding 100 beats per minute (Tachycardia)
- Chest pain
Further important information is now read in the article due to low oxygen level.
Causes of low blood oxygen levels
Along with the common cause, medical conditions also cause hypoxemia ie low blood oxygen, some of which are as follows.
- Breathing in contaminated air
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) ie lung disease
- Due to pneumonia
- Corona (COVID-19)
- Severe asthma attack
- Late-stage heart failure
- Cystic fibrosis (a genetic disease affecting the lungs and digestive system)
- Sleep apnea (breathlessness of a few seconds)
- Cardio Pulmonary Disease (all conditions affecting the heart and lungs)
Continue reading the article to know what to do to increase the oxygen level.
How to maintain oxygen level in the body: Tips to Increase Your Blood Oxygen Level
Some tips can be followed to maintain the blood oxygen level. We are going into detail about them.
- Breathe in fresh air – Open your home and room windows and breathe in fresh air. In fact, due to lack of oxygen in the house, the oxygen level of the body can also be reduced. In such a situation, this small effort can prove to be effective.
- Quit Smoking – Healthy people who smoke cigarettes also have lower oxygen levels than others. That is why one should not smoke to maintain the right level of oxygen in the body (14). It is said that quitting smoking improves oxygen levels in the body. This may also improve lung functionality.
- Stay close to nature – Oxygen levels in the body are also low due to contaminated air. So stay close to nature. In addition, you can do plantations in and around your home. There are many such plants planted indoors, which are known to purify the air. These can increase the oxygen level of the house by reducing carbon dioxide, which can also increase the oxygen level of the body.
- Do Breathing Exercise – Breathing exercise can also help maintain oxygen levels in the body. They are said to open the airways and help increase oxygen levels in the body. Taking a long breath for a while, then stopping it for a few seconds can be effective exercise.
Also, pruning exercise can also increase oxygen levels. For this, you have to take a deep breath while lying on your stomach and then stop the breath for three seconds. During this time, one should have two pillows under the head and two under the abdomen.
- Take support of yoga – Yoga can also be done to increase blood oxygen. Pranayama is considered good for this. In addition, oxygen levels in the body can also be increased with the help of Tadasana and other yoga poses.
- Keep drinking water – Even when there is sufficient amount of water in the body, the oxygen level remains normal. Water not only provides nutrients in the body, but also serves to deliver oxygen. For this, it is necessary to have body water balance in the body.
- Walking in the morning and evening – walking and jogging are also considered essential for oxygen level. Research suggests that jogging for a while may improve blood oxygen levels . In such a situation, low oxygen level can also be avoided by walking and jogging in the morning and evening.
- Eat healthy diet – Foods also have a direct relationship with oxygen level. In this case, only include nutritious food in the diet. The most important nutrient in these is iron, which helps in making hemoglobin protein in the body. It is the hemoglobin that carries oxygen to the blood. For this, include spinach, cabbage, dried beans etc. in the diet.
- Chewing activity – According to a research, chewing activity for a while can also improve blood oxygen levels. This can help avoid low blood oxygen levels in the brain caused by stress. This may help increase blood circulation at the same time as oxygen level.
Know when it is necessary to go to the doctor for consultation in this situation.
When to contact a doctor – When to see a doctor
Sudden breathing becomes worse when blood oxygen levels are low. In such a situation, you can immediately contact the doctor. In addition, if symptoms of low hypoxemia are seen, then visit a doctor.
- Nail blue
- Shortness of breath or inability to breathe
- Having any type of respiratory problem
- Abnormal breathing
Now understand how to treat blood oxygen levels when it is low.
Low oxygen level treatment – Medical Treatments
After low oxygen level, the main goal of treatment is to reach oxygen to lungs and other organs. Also, carbon dioxide is extracted from the body. Some such treatments can be done for this.
- Oxygen therapy: During this treatment, oxygen is delivered to the body through a nasal cannula (two small plastic tubes inserted into the nostril) or by fitting an oxygen mask to the nose and mouth.
- Tracheostomy: It is a surgical therapy. Through this, a small hole is made in the front part of the neck through surgery, which goes directly into the wind pipe. Then insert a tube that helps in breathing in this hole. This tube is called tracheostomy or trache tube.
- Ventilator: This machine, which helps in breathing, fills air in lungs. This also removes carbon dioxide from the lungs.
- NPPV: Non-invasive positive pressure ventilation (NPPV) creates light air pressure to keep sleeping airways open. It is an air mask in a helmet-like band, which is fitted from nose to mouth.
- Other treatments: Low blood oxygen can also be treated with the help of a special bed, which helps in breathing and exhaling. This bed moves forward and backward, aiding the breathing process. Doctors may also recommend the (IV) Fluid flow through a vein in the body. This improves blood flow in the body and can also provide nutrition to the body.
Next we will tell which foods can be beneficial in increasing the oxygen level in the body.
Foods that increase oxygen in the blood – Foods that help increase oxygen in the blood
In the event of hypoxemia, the level of oxygen in the blood can also be increased by including the right foods in the diet. We are talking about both what to eat and what not to eat in hypoxemia in two parts.
What should we eat
Foods to be eaten include iron-rich foods that increase hemoglobin. This is the reason that hemoglobins carry oxygen to the blood.
- Dried Beans and Fruits
- Egg (especially egg yolk)
- Red meat
- Salmon and tuna fish
- whole grains
- Dried plum
- Brazil nuts
- dandelion greens
- Brown rice
In order to maintain oxygen levels, it is recommended to include a low carbohydrate-rich diet. Means high carbohydrate foods should be avoided. Also, be sure to avoid these things.
- Avoid drinking cold drinks
- Do not smoke
- Don’t drink alcohol
- Avoid sweet things
- Do not eat foods rich in salt
- Avoid fried foods
Now we are talking about the complications seen in the body when the blood oxygen level is low.
Complications caused by low oxygen – Low Blood Oxygen Complications
A person also has some complications when hypoxemia is a low oxygen level. These complications can be something like.
- Lung complications: There may be a block of lung artery, which is called pulmonary embolism. Additionally, pneumothorax is also a complication of low blood oxygen levels in low blood oxygen levels. This occurs when air leaks between the lungs and the chest wall. Pneumothorax may cause complete or malfunctioning of the lung. In addition, increasing individual’s dependence on ventilators is also a complication.
- Complications of heart: Complications such as heart failure, poor heartbeat and heart attack can also be caused by hypoxemia.
- Gastrointestinal problems: Hypoxemia can lead to intestinal problems if not treated at the right time. This includes the risk of stress ulcers, intestinal blockage (Ileus) and hemorrhage.
- Nutritional problem: The person may be a victim of malnutrition. In addition, he may have diarrhea, diarrhea, lack of blood sugar and electrolyte mineral disturbances.
- Neurological complications: Hypoxemia can lead to complications such as brain damage and brain dead.
- Organ Damage: There is a risk of Organ Damage when hypoxemia occurs. Multiple organ damage can occur to one part or more of a person’s body.
- Death: A person may also die due to problems of low blood oxygen level for a long time and not treating it.
Everyone knows how important oxygen is in the air, but hardly anyone would think to maintain its correct level. When its level decreases due to diseases, the body is not able to take oxygen around it. For this reason, to avoid this situation, it is important to pay attention to the right diet and yoga and exercise. For this, you can take help of all the tips and food items mentioned in the article. Along with being alert to your health, drive away diseases and live a happy life.